Main page
Northern European Open University Petrozavodsk City Republic of Karelia
Information for International students    CHINESE    ITALIAN

Home page


Why Petrozavodsk

Our University

Programs and Courses

DAAD Summer School 2016

Тестирование по русскому языку

TORFL Certificate



Before Arrival

Visa Information


Alumni feedback

Apply Now

Useful Links

Erasmus Mundus Triple I

Our Partners




Host family FAQ

Site map


Frequently asked questions




  • How do I acquire a student visa?

In order to obtain a student visa you need an official invitation from an educational institution. First, you need to submit a completed application form and a scan of your passport by email to After registering for one of our programs, you will receive an official invitation letter from the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Note that it usually takes about one month for an invitation to be issued.
You will be responsible for paying the postage for a paper invitation. Be sure to leave yourself enough time to obtain your visa from the Russian consulate in your country. In general, this process takes about two weeks. The cost of visas varies depending on processing time and the type of visa.

  • Do I need to register my visa?

You will need to register your visa within 72 hours of your arrival in Petrozavodsk. The International Office of PetrSU will take of registering your visa. You will need to bring your passport, visa and migration card to the International Office of PetrSU (Petrozavodsk State University, Anokhina str., 20, office 412).


  • Will someone meet me at the railway station?

Yes, a representative of the PetrSU International Office or a member of a host family will meet you at the railway station. You will need to submit the exact date and time of your arrival to Petrozavodsk to your coordinator. Sending us a scan or photo of your ticket will be the best way to do this.

  • How do I pay for the course?

After you schedule is set, we draft a contract with the right number of academic hours and a course fee corresponding to your group size. Based on the contract we issue a bill that you have to take to the bank. We highly recommend paying in the Vozrozhdenie bank (15 Andropova Str.). They usually accept payments like these in cash, which makes bank commission much lower. If you feel uncomfortable travelling with cash, there is an ATM right next to the bank.
After you pay for the course, make sure to give us the receipt so that we can make a copy for our records and inform the accounting department that you’ve made the payment.

  • Who can use PetrSU libraries?

All PetrSU students including students arriving for the Russian language course can use libraries.

  • How much money should I take?

You will need about 150 euros a month for food (this estimate does not including eating out). Museum and cinema costs vary from 3 to 100 euros. You may also wish to bring some money for souvenirs and presents.

  • Do I need to carry around my documents?

Yes. We advise that you always have your passport or scanned copies of the photo page and visa with you. You will need to show your passport when exchanging money or performing other financial transactions, buying train tickets, booking hotels, and entering night clubs.

  • What kind of food will I be getting if I choose homestay with meals?

Russian cuisine is made up mostly of familiar products which one could encounter all over the world. If you choose another type of accommodation you can cook for yourself, eat in the university cafeteria, or elsewhere. You will receive more detailed information about restaurants, cafes, and bars of Petrozavodsk upon your arrival or read about them now HERE.

  • Do I have to get medical insurance during my stay in Petrozavodsk?

Before arriving in Russia, you should check with your doctor so you know whether or not to take medicine and get a medical insurance plan before leaving your home country. International students do not get free medical care in Petrozavodsk unless they have insurance. Otherwise, you will have to pay extra money. You can acquire medical insurance in Petrozavodsk that covers major diseases and accidents if you prefer. If you are extending your visa, getting an insurance at PetrSU is obligatory and is envisaged in the Russian visa legislation. 

  • Can I change my accommodation if I am not comfortable with it?

We do our best to provide you with accommodations that meet your wishes. However, in the event that you’re not satisfied, we will provide you with new accommodations.

  • How do I reach university on the first day of the course?

On your first day you will be guided by a member of your host family or PetrSU coordinator.

  • Who can I address if I have problems?

If you have any problems, you can bring them to your local coordinator. If he or she is out of office, you may contact any staff member of the PetrSU International Office.

  • What should I do if I get sick?

First of all, you should contact your coordinator. He/she will help you get medical care. You will get free medical care provided that you have medical insurance. Otherwise you will have to pay money for provided medical services.

  • Where can I go for sports?

There are loads of sport centers in the university as well as in the city. For more information please proceed to the Cultural life of Petrozavodsk.

  • Is street crime common in Petrozavodsk?

No, Petrozavodsk is a very calm and friendly city. It has a population of about 250,000 and is considered to be a relatively small city. You should stick to the same security rules you might follow in your hometown. We advise that you not carry around large sums of money and be observant of traffic rules.

  • Where can I get a one-month pass for public transport?

You can obtain a one-month pass for trolleybuses near the university for approximately 10 euro. However, this pass is not valid on other types of public transportation.

  • Where can I exchange money?

You can exchange money in one of many bank offices in Petrozavodsk.


  • And what should I do if I am planning to travel?

If you go to a different country, inform the International Office before you leave. You will get a new migration card, which you will have to take to he International Office alongside with your passport after you return to Petrozavodsk to resume your registration here.

  • If you go to a different city/town within Russia:

Inform the International Office.

If you stay in a hotel or hostel, get the paper registration there. Take this registration and your passport to the International Office after you return to Petrozavodsk to resume your migration registration here.

If you stay in an apartment more than 7 work days, make sure that the landlord or host registers you and gives the paper registration to you. Take this registration and your passport to the the International Office after you return to Petrozavodsk to resume your migration registration here.

If you stay in an apartment for less than 7 work days, new migration registration is not required.

  • What about the classes that I miss if I travel?

If you study in a group, you lose the classes if you do not attend them because of travelling. If you study individually, your classes will be reserved in case you inform your teachers in advance.

       NB! Even if you stay in a hotel in Petrozavodsk for one night or more, you have to get the new registration, because hotels and hostels are obliged register you at their address as soon as you move in by the legislation.

Linguistic Centre
Petrozavodsk State University
Russia, Republic of Karelia, Petrozavodsk, Anokhina str., 20, office 412
8 8142 71 96 27
8 8142 71 10 89


Rambler's Top100 © PetrSU, 1995-2014
Tech Support